Not as pretty as it looks: Holiday plants can be poisonous | Entertainment

Some of the most iconic holiday decorations can be poisonous to your pets or children. Here is a list of the most common and deadliest decorations to watch out for. There are a few important notes, please keep in mind that people suffering from any poisoning may not show all of the symptoms listed, but if you have a real fear for the safety of your child or pet, you should call poison center. This information has been taken from the official poison control website, poison.org.

No. 1- Gi

A true titan among holiday traditions, its berries could be incredibly harmful if ingested. Both European and American mistletoe have poisonous berries, although the American mistletoe has been found to contain more of the poison. Side effects are usually non-fatal, though still unpleasant. Symptoms are blurred vision, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.These side effects have been observed to be much less severe in adults, but pose a real risk to small children or animals.

Also Read :  Carly Simon Loses Sisters Lucy And Joanna To Cancer This Week – Deadline

No. 2- Holly

While both the berries and leaves contain about the same amount of poison, the leaves are covered in hard spines that make it a much less appetizing part of the plant. The main concern is the berries. Poison Control recommends that anyone decorating with fresh holly remove the berries. This prevents them from drying out and falling to the ground, which can make it much easier for a child or pet to consume. Symptoms of holly poisoning are vomiting, diarrhea, dehydration and drowsiness. Like mistletoe, holly poisoning is usually non-fatal.

Also Read :  4 'extreme' things they did differently

No. 3- Light bulbs

An odd addition to this list, corms are any plant with a seed described as a ‘bulb’. These bulbs can look uncannily like shallots or potatoes. Be sure to store the bulbs separately from your food to prevent children from mistaking them for anything else. Reports indicate that adults who ate up to 4 bulbs experienced only mild abdominal pain and a feeling of “weakness”, both of which persisted for about 5 days. An important note is that these were adult men during World War 2, the effects are much more pronounced in younger individuals and especially children. The biggest danger tulip bulbs in particular have is developing “tulip fingers,” where someone develops an allergic reaction to tulip bulbs after handling too many. It has to be a truly amazing amount of bulbs per day for this allergy to occur so most gardeners are safe.

Also Read :  Trip back to the 60s with psychedelia photographer who created images for Jimi Hendrix, The Beatles and Cream

General tips for plants:

This section is dedicated to plants that are usually safe but under certain conditions become deadly. As a general rule, avoid consuming ornamental plants or steeping them to make tea. The vapor from the mold alone can be dangerous with the right plant. Be sure to keep all ornamental plants away from small, hungry children and mischievous pets. Take care of your loved ones during the holidays because the doctor who will have to treat them during the holidays will definitely be unhappy and no one in that situation wants to deal with that situation.

Source

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.