India Says Will Provide Assistance In US Sikh Family Murder Case

India says it will provide aid in the case of a murder of a Sikh family in the US

Arindam Bagchi said India would provide whatever assistance it could. (File)

New Delhi:

The Indian consulate-general in San Francisco is in contact with the family of the four Indian-origin members murdered in California and is providing all necessary assistance, India said on Friday, adding that Merced County Police are investigating the matter.

A Sikh family of four, including 36-year-old Jasdeep Singh, 27-year-old Jasleen Kaur, her eight-month-old child Aroohi Dheri and 39-year-old Amandeep Singh, were abducted. Later, the bodies of four family members, originally from Punjab in India, were discovered lying close together by a farm worker in a remote orchard in Merced County, Sheriff Vern Warnke said Wednesday.

Calling the incident “sad and unfortunate,” Foreign Ministry Arindam Bagchi said: “Our consulate-general previously tweeted. You are in contact with the family. We are aware are in touch. The investigations are ongoing. This is a very shocking incident.”

During a weekly press conference, Mr Bagchi said India would provide whatever assistance it could.

Also Read :  The Biggest Selling Dental Care Accessory Now Available On Gadget Oasis Shop

The family, of Indian origin, were kidnapped at gunpoint from their truck shop in Merced on Monday morning – a kidnapping that was caught on surveillance video, authorities said. Investigators learned they went missing after a family vehicle was abandoned and set on fire.

Later, police discovered the bodies of all four family members. The suspect in the kidnapping and murder of four family members of Indian descent in California, including a baby, was arrested late Thursday. Jesus Manuel Salgado has been arrested on four counts of murder and four counts of kidnapping.

Also Read :  Wyoming Real Estate Stats and Trends for 2023

The suspect attempted suicide some time before his arrest and received medical attention. Salgado previously served nearly a decade in prison after being convicted of attempted false imprisonment, first-degree robbery and possession of a controlled substance, according to records from the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation.

Salgado already has previous convictions for armed robbery and intimidation of witnesses, and neighbors say he may have sneaked out of the family store months before his attack, the San Francisco Chronicle reported.

“He was walking up and down the street in front of this store and beyond for quite a while yelling at people,” said Rene Calvazos, 64, who lives near the huge car park owned by the Singh family.

Also Read :  Oracle modernising Airtel for larger 5G roll-out in India, says Top executive

Salgado was arrested in 2005, Warnke said, for a home burglary “in which he threatened his boss and (her) family at gunpoint for money he believed was owed to him.” I think that’s the same thing.”

Salgado was sentenced in 2007 to 11 years in prison for first-degree armed robbery, attempted false arrest, and collusion or tampering with a witness or victim under certain circumstances. A month later he was sentenced to eight months in prison for possession of a controlled substance.

He served an eight-year sentence and was paroled from 2015 to 2018.

(Except for the headline, this story was not edited by NDTV staff and was published by a syndicated feed.)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.