BEREA, Ohio— Baldwin Wallace University football rebounded from 14 points behind in its first home game of 2022, defeating Ohio Northern University in a Ohio Athletic Conference and Parents and Family Day game by a final score of 35-31 at Tressel Field im George Finnie Stadium.
BW (2-2, 2-1 OAC) went up to 32-14-1 in the all-time series with Ohio Northern (1-3, 1-2 OAC), including winning nine of their last 14 matches and the last three in Berea.
Offensive for the Yellow Jackets, junior quarterback Joey Marousek (North Royalton) completed 8 of 21 passes for 245 yards with three touchdowns and two interceptions. Senior All-OAC runs back Jon Murray Jr. (Cincinnati/Withrow) led the ground play as he rushed 89 yards on 17 carries with a 43-yard long. Senior far out Darius Stokes (Canton/GlenOak) led the receiving corps as he caught two passes for 104 yards with a touchdown. Defensive, sophomore defensive back Alden Steele (Lorain/Amherst), making his first career start, hit a career-high 14 tackles with an 11-yard fumble return for a touchdown.
Offensively for the Polar Bears, freshman quarterback Aidan Figueroa, who was making his first career start, completed 13 of 27 passes for 111 yards with two touchdowns and one interception. Senior running back Jamir Nunley led the fast attack as he carried the ball 12 times for 76 yards on a touchdown. Senior All-OAC wide Austin Eick led the receiving unit as he caught seven passes for 46 yards. Defensively, second defender Dalton Tjong recorded 13 stops and one interception.
1st Quarter (ONU, 14-7)
- 14:53 Steele (Lorain/Amherst) 11-yard fumble return (senior kicker Dean Sarris (Canton/GlenOak) perform well). Steeles first career touchdown
- 6:03 Martin 4-yard pass from Figueroa (Dom DiFalco kick good)
- 5:01 Austin Colon 72-yard interception return (DiFalco kick good)
2nd quarter (ONU, 21-14)
- 3:49 Davey Berner 11-yard pass from Figueroa (DiFalco kick good)
- 1:03 junior wide receiver Vinny lomeo (East Amherst, NY/ St. Joseph’s Collegiate Institute) 15-yard pass from Marousek (sarri step well)
3rd Quarter (ONU, 28-21)
- 11:38 Jamir Nunley 27-yard run (DiFalco kick good)
- 0:23 junior tight end Jonah Schrock (Howell, Mich.) 2-yard pass from senior quarterback Reese Warmer (Oregon/Clay). (sarri step well)
4th quarter (BW, 35-31)
- 8:04 DiFalco 43-yard field goal
- 7:41 Freshman wide receivers Tim Conwell (Avon) 84-yard pass by Marousek (sarri step well). Conwell’s first career touchdown.
- 4:01 senior wide receivers Darius Stokes (Canton/GlenOak) 75-yard pass from Marousek (sarri hit well
BW is back in action on Saturday, October 1 when they travel to Marietta for a 5:00 p.m. OAC game against Marietta College at Don Drumm Stadium. Fans can purchase tickets for the game at https://bit.ly/3f7wWH8.
The Yellow Jackets return home to the friendly confines of Finnie Stadium after their bye week on Saturday, October 15 when they host an OAC, Hall of Fame and 44th Lee Tressel Shrine Classic at 2:00 p.m -Have a match against Muskingum University. Fans can purchase tickets for the game at https://bit.ly/3dxw26i.