According to a press release from CenterPoint Energy’s spokesperson, CenterPoint Energy is offering a variety of payment support options and energy-saving resources as market prices for energy continue to rise.
>>Dayton Metro Library offers a rotating menu at 10 locations
People are likely to see their natural gas bills increase compared to last winter due to the price increase, the spokesman said.
CenterPoint Energy has several options to help people manage their energy bills, such as:
>>Early voting begins today; You can cast your vote personally, by post
- Choice program: People can choose the natural gas provider that is right for them. Other providers have more pricing options, so customers can shop around to find the best price. A list of suppliers and prices is available on CenterPoints Website.
- Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP): Individuals who meet income requirements are eligible for state and federal utility assistance, the release said. Households must fall at or below 175% of the federal poverty guidelines. For more information, call (800) 282-0880 or visit the Ohio Department of Development Website.
- HEAP Winter Crisis Program: Provides once per heating season support to households that are off the grid or at risk of being disconnected. The household must meet or fall below the federal poverty guidelines.
- Percentage of Income Payment Plan Plus (PIPP Plus): Allows a household to pay 5% of their monthly income for gas service throughout the year, the spokesman said. To be eligible, customers must obtain their primary or secondary heat source from a company regulated by the Public Utilities Commission of Ohio. Total household income must be at or below the federal poverty line. According to the press release, the customer must apply for all energy assistance programs that are suitable for him.
- Maturity Extension and Payment Arrangement: Two free offerings for customers who require a special payment plan to temporarily keep the service connected.
- Energy Efficiency Resources: Tips, appliance discounts and tools to help customers reduce their gas bills. All customers are eligible and can call 1-800-227-1376 or visit their Website, said the publication.
- Budget Billing: This billing plan allows a customer’s estimated cost of a year’s gas supply to be broken down into equal monthly billing amounts for the year, the spokesman said. This will alleviate stress during the winter months when gas bills are higher than during non-heating months, the spokesman said. The amounts are adjusted every summer. Customers can register for free on their website or by calling 1-800-227-1376.
- Home Weatherization: This program helps eligible customers make energy-saving improvements to their homes at no cost. Households must fall below the 300% of federal poverty guidelines, the press release said. For more information, see Miami Valley Community Action Partnership Website.
During the 2021-2022 heating season, CenterPoint Energy customers paid an average of $135 per month for natural gas service, the release said. Ohio gas customers who heated their homes with natural gas last year saved more money than those who heated with propane or electricity.
>> RTA is offering free rides to polling stations this election day
“We recognize the financial difficulties our customers may be facing this heating season and we encourage them to contact us for options for cost management assistance ahead of their first high bill of the heating season received,” Vice President, Indiana and Ohio Gas, said Ashley Babcock. “Additionally, customers who need further financial support can apply for programs available through our local community action agencies and local nonprofit organizations.”
©2022 Cox Media Group